Ayresome Park became Middlesbroughs home ground in 1903 when election to the Football League demanded a move from their original ground at Linthorpe Road, they played there until 1995 (despite a lock out by the administrators when they went bust) when they moved to a new purpose built stadium at The Riverside.
Part of the old ground still remains however with the gates of Ayresome Park being erected outside the main entrance, the site of the old ground is now a housing estate, the street names of which have been taken from various areas of the old Ayresome Park ground.
The picture below was taken from a Football Review magazine and shows how the ground looked in the early 1970’s.
Unfortunately we have had to set the resolution fairly low so as not to exceed our bandwidth limits but the text on the picture reads as follows;
“Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough has a capacity of 41,900 and seating for 10,000. Middlesbrough first played there in 1903 and the record attendance was set in 1949 – 53,596 for a First Division match against Newcastle United. Player inset: England Under 23 defender Willie Maddren.”