Tranmere Rovers moved to their current ground Prenton Park in 1912, funnily enough their previous football ground had also been called Prenton Park
An unusual fact about the ground is that the kop end of the ground is actually built on a base of massive concrete tank traps which the club acquired from the town council after the war.
Another interesting feature of the ground was that the “Cow Shed” end did actually have a roof that had been a cow shed before it was bought off a farmer and turned into a football stand, things turned full circle for the roof when the club developed the ground in the 90’s and sold it back to another farmer !!
The picture below is taken from a 1970’s Football Review magazine and actually shows part of the Cow Shed end mentioned above.
The text on the picture reads as follows;
“Tranmere Rovers Prenton Park ground has a capacity of 24,900 with seating for 3,800. The record attendance was 24,424 for an FA Cup fourth round tie against Stoke City in February 1972. The playing surface measures 112 yards by 74 yards. Inset: Tranmere Rovers manager Ron Yeats.”
The picture above is available for sale (along with loads more Tranmere football memorabilia) on our main site Footybits, a link to which is at the top of this page.